Are You Ready to Discover 6 New Healthy Chicken Meal Ideas?
If you are a stay at home Mom or Dad, I know you are concerned about your family’s healthy eating habits.
Yes, I love having the opportunity to stay at home & cook for my family, but I have to admit, there are times when I just don’t feel like preparing a healthy meal.
Since chicken is one of the most popular meats in my household, I am expected to have it on the dinner table several nights a week.
So, when I get the time, I research for some new healthy chicken meal ideas that will satisfy my family’s hunger & keep them on track with healthy eating habits. And, I love the excitement they show when they feast their eyes on my new recipe I prepared just for them.
Now, I would like to share a few of these recipes that me & my family simply love.
6 Healthy Chicken Meal Ideas For Family
Simple Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
Serving Size – 6
- Skim milk or Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
- Poultry seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- Cornflakes – 1 cup (crumbled)
- Onion powder – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Garlic powder – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Black pepper – 2 teaspoons
- Dried hot pepper – 2 teaspoons (crushed)
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (ground)
- Chicken – 8 pieces (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks, skinless)
- Vegetable oil (use to grease baking pan) – 1 teaspoon
- Few shakes of paprika
1. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F..
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
3. Mix onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, crushed hot pepper and ground ginger with cornflake crumbs, then pour mixture into a plastic bag.
4. Next, wash chicken, pat dry, then dip chicken into milk and shake to remove excess
5. Put chicken in bag with seasonings and breadcrumbs, thoroughly shake then refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Remove chicken from bag and sprinkle lightly with paprika, then space chicken evenly on greased baking pan.
7. Cover chicken with aluminum foil, put in preheated oven and bake 40 minutes.
8. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork.
Note: The drumsticks may require less baking time than the breasts. crumbs will form a crispy “skin”. (Do not turn chicken during baking).
Italian Seasoned Breadcrumb Baked Chicken
Serving Size – 2
- Egg whites – 2
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs – 1/3 cup
- Parmesan cheese – 4 tablespoons (reduced-fat, grated)
- Chicken breast – 1/2 pound
- Whole-wheat or Spinach pasta – 4 ounces
- Pasta/spaghetti sauce – 1 cup (low-fat)
1. First, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Then put egg whites in a bowl and beat until foam appears on top.
3. Next, blend Italian seasoned bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese in a pie plate.
4. Now, dip chicken breast into egg whites, dip chicken into bread crumbs, coating both sides thoroughly.
5. Put chicken in baking dish and place in preheated oven, bake each side of chicken for approximately 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and breading is golden brown.
6. While chicken is cooking, prepare pasta and warm the sauce.
7. Put the cooked pasta on serving plates with the baked chicken breasts, pour warm sauce and remaining Parmesan cheese over pasta.
Baked Chicken and Butternut Squash
Serving Size – 5
- Chicken-flavored rice mix with 1/3 less salt – 1 package (6 ounces) or Chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix – 1 package (6. 9 ounces)
- Butternut squash – 2 cups (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Zucchini – 1 medium (cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 3/4-inch slices)
- Red bell pepper – 1 medium (cut into 1-inch pieces, approximately 1 cup)
- Chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 pounds) – 4 (skinless, boneless)
- Water – 2 cups
- Garlic and herb spreadable cheese – 1/2 cup (fat-free)
1. First, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Then combine rice, contents of seasoning packet, butternut squash, zucchini slices, and red bell pepper in an ungreased rectangular 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
3. Now, spray a 10-inch skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
4. Next, place chicken in heated skillet and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until brown, turning once, then remove chicken from skillet.
5. Pour water in skillet and heat to boiling, then pour boiling water over rice mixture in baking pan and stir until mixed.
6. Now, stir in the fat-free cheese, then place chicken on top of rice mixture.
7. Put in preheated oven and bake covered for approximately 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and juice of chicken is no longer pink when you cut the centers of the chicken pieces.
Texas Showdown Barbecue Chicken
Serving Size – 6
- Chicken breast halves – 6 (frozen, skinless, boneless)
- Barbecue sauce – 1 bottle (12 ounce)
- Worcestershire sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Italian salad dressing – 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
1. First, put chicken in slow cooker
2. Next, blend barbecue and Worcestershire sauce, Italian salad dressing and brown sugar in medium bowl, then pour mixture over chicken.
3. Put cover on slow cooker and cook 3 – 4 hours on high or 6 – 8 hours on low.
Rice Topped With Baked Chicken
Serving Size – 4
- Whole grain rice blend – 1 cup
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chicken breast halves – 4 (6 to 7 ounces each, skinless, boneless)
- Cream of mushroom soup – 1 can (3/4 ounce, 98% fat-free, undiluted)
- Water or skim milk – 1 cup
- Herbs or spices of your choice
1. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Then put rice blend, water and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
3. Stir rice mixture only once and then cover saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
4. Now, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Do not cook the rice all the way, because it will finish cooking in the oven. Remove rice from heat and pour in large ungreased casserole dish.
6. Put chicken breast halves onto the top of the rice mixture.
7. Next, blend the cream of mushroom soup with the water or skim milk and herbs in a medium bowl, then pour mixture over the chicken.
8. Now, cover casserole dish, place in preheated oven and bake approximately 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
9. Make sure chicken juices run clear when cut with the tip of a knife before taking from oven.
Baked Chicken Egg Noodles Casserole
Serving Size 6 – 8
- Egg noodles – 6 ounce (whole grain)
- Olive oil – 6 tablespoons
- Mushrooms – 1 can (8 ounce, sliced, rinsed and drained)
- Flour – 6 tablespoons
- Chicken broth – 1 2/3 cup (fat-free)
- Skim milk – 1 cup
- Ground black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon (coarse)
- Chicken tenderloin – 1 cup (cooked and diced)
- Peas – 1 cup (frozen)
- Parmesan cheese – 1/2 cup (low-fat, grated)
1. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 2 1/2 – 3 quart baking dish.
2. Then cook the egg noodles according to package directions and drain.
3. While noodles are cooking, pour olive oil in a large skillet and heat over low heat.
4. Now, stir in the mushrooms and saute until tender.
5. Next, blend in the flour and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
6. Mix in chicken broth, skim milk, salt and ground black pepper slowly, stirring constantly until thickened.
7. Stir in cooked chicken tenderloin, frozen peas and grated Parmesan cheese.
8. Then add cooked noodles and spoon mixture into baking dish, top with extra cheese if desired..
9. Place in preheated oven and bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
By the way, if your family enjoyed these healthy meal ideas, I’ve add a little extra bonus below…
Healthy Chicken Noodles and Mushroom Recipe
Serving Size – 4
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Chicken breasts (1 1/4 pounds, halved, boneless)
- Carrots – 3/4 cup (thinly sliced)
- Mushrooms – 1 cup (sliced)
- Onions – 1/4 cup (sliced)
- Cream of chicken soup – 1 can
- Egg noodles – 8 ounces (uncooked)
1. In large skillet, heat vegetable oil, then add chicken breasts.
2. Cook chicken breasts until lightly brown, then remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Put sliced carrots, mushrooms and sliced onions in skillet and cook until onions are tender but not brown.
4. Stir in can of cream of chicken soup, then top with browned chicken.
5. Simmer, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken and sliced carrots are tender.
6. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
7. Serve chicken and sauce over hot noodles.
You Don’t Have to Be an Expert Chef! Try These Delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
I’ve complied several recipe books I believe you’ll enjoy. One includes 35 slow cooker chicken recipes to make cooking easier for you.
And, this book is available from the world’s largest retailer here…
Above all, it’s no secret that chicken can be cooked many different ways, but I’ve found that cooking it in a slow cooker is a perfect way to make the chicken even more tender and flavorful.
Certainly, there are so many benefits of cooking chicken in your crock pot.
Wait! Before You Go, Experience The Joy of Cooking Right In Your Inbox!
Yes, I’ve put together a free newsletter with cooking tips, recipes & more to help you experience the joy of cooking firsthand. Check below to make sure it’s still open for subscription.
And, by the way, if you want more joy of cooking tips and recipes to help you become an expert chef in your own kitchen — stop by my website anytime.
Thanks – Jean
Filed under: Chicken Recipes