What's more classic than a chicken fried steak- but there are some tricks to get the perfect, crispy and tender steak and we're showing you how! Featured on the Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
Cowboy Classic Chicken Fried Steak
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons Mesquite Seasoning (available here: ) or smoked paprika and pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons Original Seasoning (available here: ) or seasoned salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Fry oil (canola, creamy liquid shortening, peanut)
Tenderized round steaks (we used inside of the round)
1. In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, Mesquite seasoning and egg. Whisk well.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, Original seasoning, baking powder and cornstarch.
3. In a Dutch oven, pour in enough oil to deep-fry the steaks (2 to 3 inches). Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches about 350°F.
4. Pick up one piece of meat and dip it into the wet batter and then into the flour mixture. Be sure both sides are well coated. Repeat, or as I call it, “double baptize.”
5. Fry the steaks for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Be sure there is no red liquid coming from the steaks. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with the gravy.
Check out our BEST SELLING cookbook, A Taste of Cowboy. Get your signed copy here:
Also available at bookstores nationwide, and Amazon
For products seen in our videos click here:
Want more recipes and tips? Sign up for our emails:
Connect with us!
Cowboy Cooking, Cast Iron, Outdoor Cooking, Grilling, Dutch Oven Cooking